Monday, December 14, 2009

A Lion Among Men
Gregory Maguire 4/5




Imagine my surprise when I learned that my favorite all time book, Wicked, has another two books in the series! I loved Wicked so very much, and was sadly disappointed by Son of a Witch, which is the 2nd book in the series!

A Lion Among Men follows Wicked in the same satire that Gregory Maguire is so well known for. It was interesting to follow on to the story after all the years that passed since the 2nd book was written, and to know what happened years after in the book itself as well. The book was written from the perspective of the Cowardly Lion, which is famous for his role in the “Wizard of Oz” movies. The Lion is on a search for the Grimmerie, the magical book of the Wicked Witch of the West (Elphaba) and the bloodlines that followed after her death.

It was interesting story, captivating, and intertwined. It would have been easier to follow had I read this book one right after the other in a series. It wasn’t as fascinating or entertaining as Wicked. This might have to do with knowing and expecting this kind of a story. I do like the book, and overall the series is a great read. I wonder if Maguire will follow the story from the Scarecrow or even the Tin Man!

No comments:

Post a Comment